Sunday, October 4, 2009

Femara and Apples and Pumpkins, Oh My!

Well, we are back from a whirlwhind weekend. We left school early on Friday to go to the appointment at the fertility doctor, then sold tickets at the homecoming football game, then drove 4 hours home to my mom's house. It was her birthday this weekend and we have a tradition to go to this beautiful apple orchard and a super fun pumpkin patch with my mom, my sister, and my nephew. This is the 4th year that we've gone. We got back today and had some friends come over to help us move a chandelier and ceiling fan in our house for better staging purposes. We have had 5 showings in 3 weeks, which is amazing and we're hoping one perfect person will come by!

Anyway, the appointment went really, really well. The doctor, Dr. R, was SO amazingly nice. And-surprisingly and refreshingly-she had read through ALL my notes. Even those that the mfm had made about the twins and thereafter. She said that I am "lucky." Because although I am infertile, we appear to be the most fertile of the infertile, i.e. all we need is a little stimulation and my body does what it is supposed to do. So, we talked a lot, but the plan is:
*Take femara days 4 through 8 (today is day 6)
*Day 12 (this coming saturday) have a transvaginal ultrasound to see number of follicles (just one please, please, please-at least one?)
*If there is one, go ahead with timed intercourse

I feel good about the femara, even though it was $73 for 5 pills (!). It has a 4% chance of multiples, as opposed to clomid's 8-10 %. It has way less side effects. It is equal to a half tablet of clomid, but even with less chance of multiples, so that's good. So far I'm on my 3rd day and I have zero side effects. No headaches/hot flashes. Nothing.

It made it hard to concentrate this weekend. I am wishing for time to fly by. I had a hard time having such a "fun" time over the weekend. I kept imagining myself pushing a double stroller around the Apple Orchard with the twins. Taking pictures with them instead of just my nephew. It was one of those things, I guess. I know it'll happen.

I'll leave you with a few pictures :)




9 comments:

Kristy said...

Yea, i've been waiting all weekend for this update. I'm SO glad you guys are trying now, and on the Femera. I've heard all the same things you mentioned about Femera versus Clomid. I hope it does the trick and on the first try. I hope you continue to feel good for the rest of the cycle.

What a happy update!

xo

PS...love the pumpkins!

Christmas with Kasey said...

I'm so glad that the dr was helpful! I am excited for you!! Sending you lots of baby dust. I cannot believe that its Oct and there are pumpkins around... I too wish I could be pushing Kasey around and looking at pumpkins... ((hugs)) Hope you continue to feel well

Holly said...

Glad to hear your appt went so well!

Akul's mama said...

Looking forward to your good news now.

Christy said...

Glad to hear it went well! Hoping it happens soon for you. The pumpkin patch sounds like fun.
Thinking of you....
Christy

Tina said...

I am so happy to hear your appt went well. I understand that it will be hard to wait, but let's just hope the wait will all be worth it!!! xx

Catherine W said...

I'm so glad to hear that your appointment went well and that the femara doesn't seem to be having any side effects. Yay!

It's so sad isn't it? When I get a glimpse into that other life I could have had, the life with the double stroller. Sometimes it just sneaks up on me and takes me by surprise.

I wish the twins were with you, looking at that amazing display of pumpkins. xo

Anonymous said...

The pics from the pumpkin patch are beautiful! I know, everywhere we go I think about what it would be like with "our kid." I wish I could stop doing that!

I'm so glad your appointment with the doc went so great! I hope Femara is your magic pill! :)

Bluebird said...

Femora was a possible plan for DH and I, too, because of the decreased risk for multiples. I know how scary it is to think of more than one again. Fingers crossed for you honey. So glad you liked your dr.